Valentine’s Day - a day of chocolates, roses, and cheesy greeting cards. Some people love the holiday while others would prefer to just skip over February 14th. This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a workday, but that doesn’t mean that the romance and presents should make it into the office. Whether you are lovesick or sick of love, here are some guidelines for how to handle the holiday in your office.
Valentine's Day Guidelines:
- Don’t ruin the day for others. If you are not a fan of Valentine’s Day, keep in mind that others may love the holiday. Keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself and just focus on all the chocolate that will be on sale the day after. The opposite it also true. If you love the holiday, don’t expect everyone else to love it too.
- Don’t give a gift to only one or two colleagues. Like it was back in elementary school, if you are going to bring a gift or card for one colleague, you should bring something for your whole office. The easiest thing to do that even someone who doesn’t like Valentine’s Day might enjoy is to just bring cookies or donuts for everyone to share.
- Don’t go over the top. If you are sending something to your significant other, keep in mind that their whole office will see. Although it’s romantic in movies, a singing quartet or office full of roses is a little much and can end up just embarrassing people.
- Don’t profess your love to a co-worker. Sure, the office romance worked for Jim and Pam, but at work on Valentine’s Day is not the time or place to admit a crush. While you are at work, you need to focus on work. Save the romantic gestures and love professing until the work day is over at least. And don’t do anything that can make a colleague feel awkward or jeopardize your work relationship.
This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a workday, but that doesn’t mean that the romance and presents should make it into the office.
There are a lot of “do nots” in the office on Valentine’s Day. But a few Hybridge recommended “dos” on this holiday of love:
- Love your computer. Please run the important Microsoft updates and check that your cloud backup is backing up what you want it to. If you are a Hybridge client, please email us to schedule a computer checkup whenever it is convenient for you.
- Love your privacy and security. Never click on anything in email, no matter how romantic!
Happy Valentine’s Day from Hybridge! For more office tips, subscribe to our newsletter!