When faced with an office move, you may start thinking about packing boxes and scheduling movers, but don’t forget about the invisible yet essential items that make your office function properly—Internet, the phone network, cabling, etc.
Hybridge has managed many office relocations and expansions for clients and we thought we’d suggest some items for you to consider before, during, and after the move:
1. Start planning and schedule far in advance to avoid down time
- Internet Service Providers tend to have long lead times for installations. For example, AT&T Fiber is typically 30-60 days, and Zayo Fiber takes a minimum of 90 days after the order has been placed.
- Select Internet Providers up front, and the minute you sign the lease, also sign the Internet contract.
2. Have a professional help you evaluate the new site
- The what, where, and when of your infrastructure can vary widely from one site to another. Things like Wi-Fi and electrical requirements for your team could make your time and budget change drastically depending on the space. It is best to have a knowledgeable professional advise you on the pros and cons of one decision versus another.
3. Take advantage of this opportunity to make a fresh start
- This is your chance to assess your technology needs and create the right infrastructure for your new space. Look at new technology and what could work better for your team.
- E-waste! These services can be free depending on how much you are throwing away and will relieve you of unwanted/unused/out-of-date equipment. Remember to make sure to wipe all data before sending anything to e-waste!
4. Did you make backups? Of everything?
- Data is most likely your most valuable asset. Keep it protected! Before dismantling anything, make sure you have backups of everything. Better yet, migrate to the Cloud first so you don’t have to worry about it.
- With your team, with your vendors, and with your management! Let everyone know what’s happening, when it’s happening and why it’s happening. This will help eliminate surprises and give you much better results.